The Scientific Board is the scientific and technical body of the Alliance which represents the Scientific Community. The Scientific Board proposes the scientific work plan to the membership for approval and facilitates the scientific and technical work activities. The purposes of the Scientific Board are to:
- Provide direction and coordination in the development of the substantive content of the DDI standards and other work products of the Alliance by its sub-committees and working groups within the context of the Alliance Strategic Plan.
- Implement the scientific work plan agreed at the Annual Meeting of the Scientific Community.
- Oversee the substantive content of DDI standards and other work products.
- Undertake research and testing concerning proposals for DDI standards and other work products.
- Develop and promulgate best practices for use of DDI standards and work products.
- Assess progress and barriers to progress.
- Provide a report on progress of the scientific work plan over the previous year, and proposals for the future scientific direction and related activities to the Annual Meeting of the Scientific Community.
Current Members of the Scientific Board:
The Scientific Board is composed of seven voting members elected by the Members of the Alliance. The Executive Director and the Chair of the Technical Committee are ex‐officio members, without internal vote. The Scientific Board may appoint up to two external Advisory Members, without internal vote. Representatives from Members and Associate Members of the Alliance are eligible to serve as elected members of the Scientific Board. A majority of the elected members of the Scientific Board must be from Member Organizations.
Members of the Scientific Board elect a Chair and Vice-Chair from among themselves for a term of two years. The Chair and Vice Chair are eligible for re-election.
- Ingo Barkow, University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons, 2021-
- Darren Bell, UK Data Service, 2021-
- Simon Hodson, CODATA, 2021-
- Hilde Orten, Norwegian Centre for Research Data, 2021-
- Flavio Rizzolo, Statistics Canada, 2021-
- Carsten Thiel, CESSDA, 2021-
- Joachim Wackerow, GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences, 2021-
- Jared Lyle, ICPSR, DDI Alliance Executive Director, ex officio, 2021-
- Wendy Thomas, Minnesota Population Center, Technical Committee Chair, ex officio, 2021-
Scientific Board Meeting Minutes
- June 1, 2019 -- Sydney, NSW, Australia
- May 28, 2018 -- Montreal, Quebec, Canada (minutes forthcoming)
- May 22, 2017 -- Lawrence, Kansas, U.S.A. (minutes forthcoming)
- May 30, 2016 -- Bergen, Norway (minutes forthcoming)
- June 1, 2015 -- Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
- June 2, 2014 -- Toronto, Ontario, Canada