Working Groups and committees advise the Executive Board or the Scientific Board on relevant topics and activities related to the operation, development and future of the Alliance and its specifications and semantic products. Anyone affiliated with a member organization with relevant knowledge and expertise on the given subject may apply to join a working group. Each group must have a designated leader for managing the work and reporting to its authorizing body.
If you would like to propose a new working group, please send an email to the Chair of the Executive Board or the Chair of the Scientific Board. The DDI Alliance makes modest funding available for Working Group members to attend key meetings focused on development of the specification. The Funding Guidelines and Request Form can be found here.
All working groups' documentation, including past and inactive groups, is maintained on the DDI Collaboration Wiki.
To JOIN a working group, send an email to the chair of that group via the links below.
Controlled Vocabularies Working Group
This group develops controlled vocabularies on already identified DDI elements and determines which other DDI elements require controlled vocabularies and develops those.
DDI Developers Community
This is an informal google group for developers of software implementations based on DDI. The group gets together periodically to discuss their implementations of the DDI specification.
Marketing and Partnerships Working Group
This group works towards the following goals:
- Increase DDI Alliance membership
- Increase use and adoption of DDI and get new DDI users
- Encourage new people to become involved in DDI stewardship (expand the community)
- Work with other research standards bodies to integrate and exchange information between DDI and other standards
- Initiate and coordinate marketing activities to promote DDI to a broad set of existing and potential audiences
- Establish and maintain a DDI brand, basic description of DDI, and a core marketing message
- Ensure consistency in promotional and educational messaging by coordinating with other DDI working groups
Cross Domain Integration (CDI) Working Group
The CDI working group focuses on the iterative lifecycle of modeling, representation, and testing of DDI - Cross Domain Integration (DDI-CDI), which is a developing product of the DDI Alliance intended to fill the emerging need for integration of data from different disciplinary domains. DDI-CDI is designed to connect disparate forms of data and metadata, whether they are described in DDI Codebook/Lifecycle or in any other fashion.
Paradata Working Group
The Paradata Working Group is reviewing elements of paradata (data about the process by which survey data were collected) that should be incorporated into the DDI specification.
Structured Data Transformation Language (SDTL) Working Group
The SDTL Working Group maintains and manages the Structured Data Transformation Language (SDTL), an independent intermediate language for representing data transformation commands. In 2020, the DDI Alliance membership approved SDTL as an addition to the DDI product suite.
The Scientific Board maintains a standing Technical Committee whose purpose is to model, render, maintain, and update the DDI specifications to meet community needs and align with Alliance strategic goals. The Technical Committee receives input from substantive working groups of the Scientific Board, DDI users and developers, and other interested parties.
Training Working Group
The mission of the Training Group is to:
- Introduce people to DDI and improve people's competence in working with DDI
- Gear training to specific audiences
- Develop expertise within the community for training purposes
- Maintain a training library with updated training material for reuse
XKOS - Extended Knowledge Organization System Working Group
XKOS leverages the Simple Knowledge Organization System (SKOS) for managing statistical classifications and concept management systems, since SKOS is widely used.
Page Last Revised: 23 April 2021