The DDI Alliance is collaborating with CODATA (the data arm of the International Science Council) on a series of webinars to support the public review of the DDI - Cross Domain Integration specification.
The goal is to provide background so that reviewers, especially those from outside the traditional DDI community, have enough information to give the new specification a considered review.
Currently, two “rounds” of webinars are proposed. Some of these events are organized for the DDI community, others seek a wider audience and are convened in partnership with CODATA. The numbering below is indicative and may change as the dates for each webinar are finalized.
- CESSDA (DDI), Weds 27 May 2020, 14:00 UTC [presentation (given by Arofan Gregory) and recording]
- General audience (DDI and CODATA), Tue 16 Jun 2020, 13:00 UTC [presentation (given by Arofan Gregory) and recording] and Thu 18 Jun 2020, 07:00 UTC [presentation (given by Hilde Orten) and recording]
- DDI Community (DDI), Weds 24 June 2020, 14:00 UTC [presentation (given by Arofan Gregory) and recording]
- Official Statistics (DDI), Thu 22 July 2020, 13:00 UTC [presentation (given by Daniel Gillman) and recording]
- Data Description (DDI and CODATA), ‘1) Presentation and Discussion’, Weds 12 August 2020, 14:00 UTC and ‘2) Discussion Workshop’, Weds 19 August 2020, 14:00 UTC [registration]
- Environmental Sciences (DDI and CODATA)
- Chemical, material and structural sciences (DDI and CODATA)
- Health/Infectious Disease (DDI and CODATA)
- Earth sciences (DDI and CODATA)
- Life Sciences (DDI and CODATA)
- Engineering (DDI and CODATA)
- Physical sciences (DDI and CODATA)
- UML/OMG and Modelling-related (DDI)
- Discovery standards (Schema.org, DCAT) (DDI and CODATA)
- Process/Provenance standards (PROV, BPMN) (DDI and CODATA)
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and other policy monitoring indicators (DDI and CODATA)
Links to DDI-CDI Resources
The Data Documentation Initiative Alliance has recently announced the public review of their new specification, DDI – Cross Domain Integration (DDI-CDI). This event will introduce potential reviewers to the specification. An overview of DDI-CDI will be presented, followed by a discussion period.
DDI-CDI is a model-driven specification that is designed to provide support for the wide range of data which are becoming increasingly significant for the Social, Behavioral, and Economic (SBE) sciences, but often come from new sources outside the SBE domain, and often use non-traditional data structures. Such unfamiliar data also demands increased information about provenance, especially the processes by which they were created. Based on the DDI 4/Moving Forward work, DDI-CDI is designed to meet these emerging needs for the integration of data in old and new forms, coming from a variety of domains.
Cross Domain (Data) Integration is particularly important for grand challenge research areas that necessarily combine data of many types and provenance, including infectious disease research, disaster risk reduction, resilient cities research, climate change mitigation and adaptation and so on. CODATA sees great potential in DDI-CDI as a contribution to the International Science Council-endorsed Decadal Programme ‘Making Data Work for Cross-Domain Grand Challenges’. Consequently, CODATA through the Decadal Programme will partner with DDI in the public review process, assisting in getting feedback on the specification from different domains and use cases.
The specification is available both as a formal UML model and as an XML syntax representation of that model and is designed to align with both existing DDI specifications and other popular standards. Being model based, it is intended to support a wide range of technology platforms and tools. This webinar will help potential adopters provide critical feedback to make sure that it can meet these goals.