The DDI Alliance is pleased to welcome three new members into the Alliance:
A training workshop for DDI 3 will take place at the Leibniz Center for Informatics, Schoss Dagstuhl, in Wadern, Germany, on October 25-29, 2010. The title of the workshop is "The Data Documentation Initiative (DDI) XML Standard: Using DDI 3 to Support Preservation, Management, Access, and Dissemination Systems for Social Science Data."
The previous week, October 18-22, there will be a special Advanced Workshop focusing on using DDI to document longitudinal data.
The DDI Expert Committee will meet in Ithaca, NY, USA, on Monday, May 31, just before the start of the annual meeting of the International Association for Social Science Information and Service Technology (IASSIST) conference.
First Annual European DDI Users Group Meeting
"DDI - The Basis of Managing the Data Life Cycle" -- December 3 - 4, 2009, Bonn, Germany
Hosted by the International Data Service Center (IDSC) of IZA
Workshop: December 3 -- Afternoon
"Course on DDI 3: Putting DDI to Work for You" (Wendy Thomas, University
of Minnesota, Minnesota Population Center)
Kevin Schürer, Director of the Economic and Social Data Service (ESDS)
and the UK Data Archive (UKDA):
"Why DDI must succeed and the perils of it not doing so"
- Alerk Amin (CentERdata): "Questasy - Case Study"
- Ingo Barkow (DIPF - Deusches Institut für Internationale Pädagogische
Forschung): "Usage of a DDI structure in the NEPS Data Warehouse"
- Martin Friedrichs (GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences):
"The case of CHARMCATS: Use of DDI3 for publishing harmonisation routines"
- Rob Grim (Tilburg University): "The EVS and NKO subject portal for
enhanced publications: Connecting archives and libraries with DDI"
- Matti Heinonen/Mari Kleemola (Finnish Social Science Data Archive):
"Evaluation of DDI3: Marking-up ISSP 2006 Finnish data"
- Jannik Jensen (Danish Data Archive): "Editing DDI"
- Uwe Jensen (GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences): "DDI 3
and re-use of metadata in archival processes"
- Uwe Jensen (GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences):
"Considerations to support and implement DDI 3 in building the cessda-ERIC"
- Simon Jones/Paul Lambert (University of Stirling): "Metadata Creation,
Transformation and Discovery for Social Science Data Management: The
DAMES Project Infrastructure"
- Meinhard Moschner (GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences):
"Controlled vocabularies for DDI3 - a work in progress"
- Marika Puumala (CentERdata): "How to Present an Application Based on
DDI 3 to the World Out There? -Experiences from a project in which we
have built an online survey data dissemination application based on DDI 3"
- Humphrey Southall (University of Portsmouth): "Creating DDI Metadata
for a diverse body of aggregate statistics: Experience with the GB
- Karsten Stephan (Higher Education Information System (HIS)): "Using a
DDI 3 Based Single Source Approach to Increase the Efficiency of Social
Science Research Processes"
- Andias Wira-Alam (GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences):
"Implementing DDI 3.0 : A case study of the German Microsensus"
- Denis Huschka (German Council for Social and Economic Data (RatSWD)):
"Developments of the Research Data Infrastructure in Germany since the
end of the 90's"
The full program including abstracts and further information are available
at: http://www.iza.org/eddi09. EDDI 2009 is organized jointly by the Institute
for the Study of Labor (IZA) and GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences.
The event is supported by the German Council for Social and Economic Data
(RatSWD). The poster of the event may be found here.
The DDI Alliance is pleased to announce that two new members have recently come on board:
· Australian Social Science Data Archive (ASSDA), with Dr. Steven McEachern as the Expert Committee representative
· University of Toronto Scholars Portal, with Leanne Hindmarch as the Expert Committee representative
We look forward to working with these new members.
The Data Documentation Initiative [DDI] XML Standard : Workshop on Implementation of DDI3 - Advanced Topics
November 2-6, 2009
GESIS Workshop at the Leibniz Center for Informatics
Schloss Dagstuhl, Wadern, Germany
Arofan Gregory (Open Data Foundation, Tucson, Arizona, USA)
Wendy L. Thomas (Minnesota Population Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA)
Joachim Wackerow (GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences, Mannheim, Germany)
Mary Vardigan (Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research, USA)
The goal of this symposium-style workshop is to produce a detailed use case literature covering the technical aspects of DDI3 implementation. Some selected exploratory topics like interoperability with other domains and technologies will also be examined.
Description of the Workshop
Implementations and planned implementations will be presented by a number of attendees and discussed by other presenters and invited experts. This workshop provides an opportunity to share experiences with other advanced implementers of DDI3 and experts in the DDI3 technical specification, obtain a real time peer review and create the beginnings of a strong use case literature for DDI3 implementations. The hosts and participants in the workshop are expected to look critically at the use cases presented and provide any input that is appropriate.
Use cases discussed at the workshop will be written up and published in the new DDI Alliance On-line Working Paper Series.
The names of interested organizations and individuals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide contact information, area of interest, and area of expertise for each individual, information regarding DDI 3 implementation, and a statement of what each individual can contribute to the workshop. Any questions regarding this event should be directed to email@example.com